Friday, December 10, 2010

What A Laugh ...!

Dear Bloggy ,

When you are hospitalised for a couple of days and you only have the nurses for company round the clock , you kind of get closed to them over time . You observed their daily routine , their shifts and get to know their names too .

And when one is stuck in a small room with just the white walls to stare at and a 14 inches TV mounted on the wall for company you kind of appreciate it when these nurses dropped by . I got to talk to them , smiled and laughed along the way . You gotta keep up your spirits or you will feel like you are in the dumps . That's bad for your health .

As they go about doing their tasks , I liked to ask them questions and yes they were happy to respond . Most would linger a little longer in the room before they rushed out to tend to another patient . Tasks here meant checking my blood pressure and my pulse rate ; asking me how I'm doing . Some just dropped by to say ' Hi '.

Honestly ,when you are the only Sarawakian patient on the block ...u kind of get special treatment . Plus when one have a name like mine the plot gets thicker as most tried to figure out what my race is and where I'm from and why my name is so strange .

I don't look like a Malay , nor a Chinese and definitely not an Indian . Aha.....I must be a ' Siam ' woman ....meaning I am originally from Thailand . One must know what race one is because it affect how the nurses are going to address you .

Like if you are a Chinese or Indian the nurses would address you as " Aunty . ' If you are a Malay they will call you ' Kakak " . Thank goodness ...at least they didn't call me " Mak Cik " ...that will be the day and I know my heart will skip a beat .

And that's when I noticed the nurses there are 99.9% either Malay , Indians or Chinese . Just 3 races and you could easily identify these nurses as to which race they belong to .

So easy to identify . No headaches . This doesn't apply in Sarawak though . With so many indigenous tribes one have to be mindful as to what race they belong to . One thing good with the name tags they are wearing , we know if one is a Muslim , Christians or Buddhists . Hindus come in far and between in hospitals there ....so they are kind of being the rare species .

Gotta go and iron my clothes , Bloggy . We keep in touch ya ....

Just me

Dancy


No comments:

Post a Comment