Monday, March 21, 2011

My Childhood Part 2

Dear Bloggy ,

To continue about my childhood..............

Well I have a mother and I have a father ...that's where my life begins ...50 years ago in 1961 . To be exact on the 21 September . Here written down for you just in case you forget my birthday .

I addressed my parents as  " Emak " for my mother and " Bapak " for my father . At times these words are shortened to ' Makkkkkkkkkkk..." when used in an emergency mode and ' Pakk...' . Along the way I found out that my friends called their parents like that too . No big deal indeed .


What do you expect ? That I called them as " Mummy " and " Daddy " ?  Now that is out of this world . Come to think of it ...what  if  ....what if .... all my brothers and sisters addressed them as that ? I think all of us would puke , puke , puke . It was just not right ; so not in our system ....so unreal ...so very the acting you know .  .....not in our blood at all. Do you know why ? Its because both my parents are Malays ( and that makes me a Malay too.... in case you forgot ) .

Anyway these two words were the earliest few words I could vocalized and mastered easily when you were about four or five months old . Bet in my cute little voice my parents could easily detect the sound calling for them were from me ....and not from some other creatures .


Along the way ( which way ...I don't remember ) ...I realized some people who were  my neighbors were different from me .They spoke  another dialect that I least understood . And they called their parents as " Indai " or " Apai " . And the Chinese neighbor across the street called theirs as " Ma " or " Pa " . Cute ain't it .

Now at that time ,  Indians were not in existence in my neighborhood . Indeed a rare species .  I would have added these words  " AMMA " and " APPA " to my vocabulary very much early  if only we had crossed paths at that time  .


Emak and Bapak had always been there in my life . 24 hours a day ....365 days a year . That's because my mother was a housewife and my father's nature of work did not require him to travel far . So we all saw him every day at the end of the day .

My mother was the constant fixture ...she was always there tending to us all . When night fell... everybody would flock back ; take shelter to what we brothers and sisters  called " HOME " .

Yeah....I am proud to say....I am not from a broken up family . And I owe it to my parents for being there for  each other for whatever the upheavals that came their way . I thank God ...ALLAH SWT for everything too.

That's all for today Bloggy . I write some more should I have more ideas .

Loving me...Loving You ....

Dancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment