Friday, November 26, 2010

Between My Teacher And My Grandmother .

Dear Bloggy ,

I just want to tell you I called up my old primary school teacher . You must be thinking I am out of my mind to have done so . But that's what I did .

I remembered her , Bloggy . She was my teacher when I first entered school . That was 1968 . I was in Primary 1 . I was 7 years old . You must be asking why I started school pretty late . And not at 4 or 5 years old .

Almost everybody started school at that age , Bloggy . I'm glad I didn't go to any kindergarten . I was stressed free for the first 7 years of my life . A happy childhood ; of running out in the sun and climbing trees and playing in the bushes .

Okay , coming back to my teacher . Her name was Miss Chang ; I don't know her full name . She was always looking neat and proper . She had long hair . Her eyes were big . That stuck in my mind because most of the Chinese folks that I came across had small eyes . So hers was one of a kind .

Miss Chang was my class teacher for 3 years . Of course she was duty bound to teach us how to read , write and count . But most of all I loved her story telling very much . Now the only other person who was that good was my late grandmother ....only that my grandmother told us folk stories in Malay .

However Miss Chang could still beat my grandmother where story telling is concerned . She was good in drawing . It was amazing seeing her transformed the plain blackboard into colorful pictures . If given the chance my grandmother could be as good as that too ; only that I have never seen my grandmother draw or held a chalk in her hand .

One thing for sure , my grandmother drew pictures in my mind to stir up the imaginations about the story she was telling . Oh ya , she was good in sewing too ; of making patchwork and recycling the materials available . And I have never seen Miss Chang held a needle in her hand .

Whatever Bloggy , these two ladies made me into what I am now ...the love for reading and telling stories ...I thanked them for firing up the sleeping cells in my mind to be more imaginative .

Cheerio Bloggy .

Just me ,

Dancy

No comments:

Post a Comment