Friday, January 14, 2011

Ponggal

Dear Bloggy ,

A blackout of news from me . Sorry about that . Was still feeling tired and I can't figure out why .

A hive of activity among my neighbors today , Bloggy . Ponggal Day for my Hindu neighbors . The whole episode of being busy busy busy started yesterday of cleaning   up their house and  hosed down their  front porch . Could see them putting up some decorations at their doorways . Mango leaves tied up and strung and sugar canes at their door ways too .

 I could hear bells being rung since early morning . Each house was doing that as they started their prayers . Could hear chantings too being played out loud on cassette players . Quite a riot actually ...my level of tolerance and acceptance at its best now . My nostrils being tested to its maximum as am inhaling a high dose of incense burnt by my immediate neighbor .

I know another neighbor was busy boiling rice and milk in a pot outside their house ....a way of saying thank you to the Sun God ....for the abundance and plentiful harvest they made . None of my neighbors are farmers though ...but somehow they followed  this tradition of saying thank you to the Sun .

A buzz of excitement from my neighbors as the milk started to boil . I did not hear any shouting of Ponggol Ponggol .I wish I could go over and take a few pictures but at times we have to respect them and let them do their obligations in peace and not being  spied on ...

Another neighbor put out a display of fruits ..apples , sugar canes and bananas in the sun . Two sticks of lighted incense stuck into a banana , plus some flowers and the cooked rice and milk in another plate . I saw Arvin ( my immediate neighbor ) with the lamp in his hand praying to the sun .

Ooooo...I just have to close  all my  doors as the incense smell is getting too overbearing . Could caused one to puke and feel nauseated too if inhaled too much . Plus headaches too .

Gotta go now . The need to go marketing and send my children to the library . Now when am I going to do my baking ?

Just me ....

Dancy 







No comments:

Post a Comment